The Ultimate Creamy Vegan Mac 'n' Trees
This vegan mac 'n' trees is the perfect combination of cheesy, creamy, melty, stretchy mac goodness. Broccoli adds texture and nutrients.
- 3 cups butternut squash peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 lb elbow macaroni (I prefer chickpea-based pasta)
- ½ cup raw unsalted cashews
- 2 cups plant milk
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 bag shredded vegan cheddar
- 1 bag shredded vegan mozzarella
- 8–12 oz frozen broccoli (can sub 1 head fresh broccoli)
First, roast the butternut squash. Preheat the oven to 425 F. Arrange the squash on a rimmed baking pan lined with parchment paper. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast until tender and caramelized, about 25 minutes. Remove and set aside.
Meanwhile, cook the macaroni in a pot of heavily salted boiling water until al dente. Drain and return to the pot.
While the pasta is boiling, make the cheese sauce. In a high speed blender, combine the cashews, plant milk, roasted squash, lemon juice, mustard, nutritional yeast, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and pepper and blend on high until very smooth.
Add the sauce to the pot with the macaroni and stir to combine. Add the broccoli and heat over low for a few minutes to warm through. Add both bags of shredded vegan cheese and stir until melted. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.