The Best Tofu Migas
Vegan brunchers, rejoice. These tofu migas are the best remedy after a long night. Serve with warm tortillas, refried beans, and salsa.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 package extra firm tofu
- 1 onion diced
- 1 large tomato diced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup plant milk
- ½ cup shredded vegan cheddar
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1 avocado pitted, peeled and diced
- 1 can vegetarian refried beans, for serving (optional)
- warm tortillas, for serving (optional)
- salsa, for serving (optional)
Press the tofu by wrapping it in a clean kitchen towel or paper towels and placing something heavy like a cast iron pan on top of it for 10–20 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. Saute onions until softened. Add the garlic and jalapeno and saute one more minute.
Crumble in the pressed tofu and sprinkle with cumin, salt and pepper. Refrain from stirring for 3–5 minutes to allow the tofu to brown.
Once the tofu is browned, add the plant milk, nutritional yeast and vegan cheddar. Cook for 3–5 minutes until the mixture has thickened and the tofu absorbed the liquid.
Add the crushed tortilla chips, stir to combine, and remove from heat.
Top the migas with the diced avocado. If desired, serve alongside warm tortillas, refried beans and salsa.