Sausage, Kale and White Bean Soup
This rustic Italian-inspired soup comes together with a few simple ingredients and is so comforting when the weather starts to cool off.
- 1 white or yellow onion diced
- 1 lb vegan sausage chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cans cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 6 cups water
- 2 cubes vegan buillon such as Edward and Sons
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch kale destemmed and roughly chopped
- sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- vegan parmesan for garnish
Heat a large dutch oven or pot on medium high heat. When hot, add the olive oil.
Add the vegan sausage and cook for a few minutes until nicely browned. Remove from the pot and reduce the heat to medium.
In the same pot, add the diced onions and a pinch of salt to help release their moisture. Saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add the water, dried oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, vegan bouillon and cannellini beans. Stir to dissolve the bouillon. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the kale and return the sausage to the pan. Simmer for 5 more minutes until the kale is wilted but still bright green.
Taste and adjust the seasonings. Serve in warmed bowls topped with freshly grated vegan parmesan and an extra crack of black pepper.