Just the smell of this delightfully crispy, saucy, wok-seared vegan teriyaki chicken is enough to get me drooling. It’s so reminiscent of the food court treat I loved as a kid, but made fully with plants! Simply blend up a sweet-and-salty teriyaki sauce and then add it to a hot wok with pieces of seared vegan chicken for a delicious dinner that’s great for meal prep.
What Is Vegan Teriyaki Chicken Made Of?
Here are the key ingredients in this dish:
Teriyaki sauce: This recipe uses my vegan teriyaki sauce recipe. You can certainly use store-bought sauce for a shortcut, but I find them to be overloaded with sugar and other not-so-great ingredients. My version is sweetened with dates, and it’s so easy to make a double or triple batch to keep in the freezer!
Vegan chicken: Store-bought options like Morningstar Farms, Gardein, and Daring are typically made from soy protein or vital wheat gluten. You can also make your own seitan-based chicken from my vegan chicken cutlet recipe.
Rice: Other grains like quinoa would work well too. I’ve also enjoyed it over steamed greens like cabbage, broccoli, and kale for a lighter option.
Can I Use Tofu In Place Of Chicken?
Yes! Feel free to use tofu instead of vegan chicken for this recipe. It will still turn out delicious and protein-packed. Simply fry up some cubed firm tofu in a nonstick skillet with a tablespoon of avocado oil until crispy, then add the sauce and finish the recipe as directed.
How To Make Vegan Chicken Teriyaki
This is a two-step recipe. First, make the sauce. From there, it’s just cooking it all in a wok until it’s sticky and delicious!
1. Make the teriyaki sauce. It’s as easy as blending soaked dates with a handful of other ingredients, and then simmering for a few minutes to thicken it up.
2. Stir-fry the chicken in a wok. Heat some neutral oil in a hot wok or non-stick skillet on high. Add your vegan chicken and cook until it has a nice brown on the outside.
3. Reduce heat to medium and add the sauce. Continue cooking for 3-5 minutes until the sauce has thickened to your desired consistency.
Serve the chicken hot over cooked rice, garnished with sesame seeds and green onions. I also love to include a steamed green vegetable on the plate (as pictured). Any of the following options are delicious:
- Green beans
- Bok choy
Craving more classic takeout dishes? Try these next:
Vegan Teriyaki Chicken
For the stir fry
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 13.5-oz package vegan chicken (see note)
- 1 cup vegan teriyaki sauce (see note)
- cooked rice
- sesame seeds
- sliced green onions
- steamed green beans or broccoli (optional)
- Heat a large wok or non-stick skillet over medium high heat and add the avocado oil. Add the vegan chicken and sear until all sides are nicely browned, about 4–5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the teriyaki sauce. Cook, tossing constantly, until the sauce has thickened and coated all the chicken.
- Remove from heat and serve over rice.