Craving a lighter Taco Tuesday? This vegan taco salad provides a colorful mix of textures and flavors that you’ll come back to every week. I love this salad because it’s:
- Hearty and filling without feeling too heavy
- Spicy, but not too spicy
- A good mix of crunchy, creamy, and chewy
Vegan Taco Salad Recipe Ingredients
Like all salads, this dish is only as good as the ingredients you use. Let’s get into it.
Greens: The greens you choose will serve as the base of your salad. I like a good spring mix, but any type of lettuce—from romaine and iceberg to red leaf or butter lettuce—would work well. If you prefer a crunchier base, go for romaine or iceberg. I find the toppings provide enough texture on their own.
Taco “meat”: Use your favorite vegan ground beef for this recipe. If meat subs aren’t your fav, this recipe also works well with crumbled tofu or tempeh.
Toppings: Get creative here! I like this vegan taco salad with halved cherry tomatoes, grated carrots, sliced radishes, kidney beans, vegan cheese shreds and avocado. Other great additions include:
- Black olives
- Thinly shredded red cabbage
- Green onions
- Grilled jalapeños
- Pickled red onion
- Vegan sour cream
Dressing: To top things off, use a 1:1 ratio of salsa and vinaigrette. This may sound strange, but it works well here by providing some spice and acidic freshness. I use a simple store-bought vinaigrette, but you can certainly make your own.
How to Make This Vegan Taco Salad
First, brown your vegan ground beef or tempeh in a hot skillet with a little oil. Once browned, sprinkle in that cravable taco seasoning. *chef’s kiss*
Meanwhile, whisk together equal parts store-bought salsa and a simple vinaigrette for the dressing.
To plate, lay down a bed of mixed greens and pile on your taco meat and any other toppings you choose. Finish with a drizzle of that dressing and dig on in!
If you’re making this salad for company, feel free to artfully arrange the ingredients in each bowl. Otherwise, just throw everything into a large salad bowl and toss it all together. I think it tastes even better this way, since the taco seasoning gets dispersed throughout the whole salad.
This really is best eaten the day you make it. If you want, you can prep the taco meat 1–2 days in advance and keep it in the fridge. Just reheat it in a skillet right before you assemble your salad.
More quick and easy salads:
- Trashy Vegan Burger Salad
- Midwestern Tequilaberry Salad
- Tortellini and Green Pea Salad
- Vegan Farro Salad With Tomatoes
Speedy Vegan Taco Salad with Salsa Vinaigrette
- 1 lb vegan ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 1 cup vegan shredded cheddar
- 1 cup julienned or grated carrots
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup radishes thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup neutral-tasting, store-bought vinaigrette
- 1 avocado thinly sliced
- crushed tortilla chips for garnish
- Cook the vegan ground beef according to package directions. For the best flavor, make sure to cook until it starts to brown.
- Sprinkle in the taco seasoning and stir to coat. Set aside.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the mixed greens, vegan cheese, carrots, cherry tomatoes, kidney beans, and radishes.
- Toss with the salsa and vinaigrette.
- Portion into individual bowls and top with crushed tortilla strips and sliced avocado. Best when fresh.