Craving a lighter Taco Tuesday? This vegan taco salad provides a colorful mix of textures and flavors that you’ll come back to every week.
If you’re making this salad for company, feel free to artfully arrange the ingredients in each bowl like the photo above. Otherwise, just throw everything into a large salad bowl and toss together. I think it tastes even better this way, since the taco seasoning is dispersed throughout the whole salad.
Like all salads, this dish is only as good as the ingredients you use. I break them down in further detail below.
Greens: The greens you choose will serve as the base of your salad. I like a good spring mix, but any type of lettuce—from romaine and iceberg to red leaf or butter lettuce—would work well. If you prefer a crunchier base, go for romaine or iceberg. I find the toppings provide enough texture on their own.
Taco “meat”: Use your favorite vegan ground beef for this recipe. If meat subs aren’t your fav, this recipe also works well with crumbled tofu or tempeh. No matter what protein you choose, make sure to get it nicely browned in a pan and sprinkle in that cravable taco seasoning. *chef’s kiss*
Toppings: Get creative here! I like this vegan taco salad with halved cherry tomatoes, grated carrots, sliced radishes, kidney beans, vegan cheese shreds and avocado. Other great additions include:
- Black olives
- Thinly shredded red cabbage
- Green onions
- Grilled jalapeños
- Pickled red onion
- Vegan sour cream
Dressing: To top tings off, use a 1:1 ratio of salsa and vinaigrette. This may sound strange, but it works well here by providing some spice and acidic freshness. Not convinced? You can certainly substitute a creamy vegan dressing if you’d like!
More scrummy salad recipes await you:
Speedy Vegan Taco Salad with Salsa Vinaigrette
- 1 lb vegan ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 1 cup vegan shredded cheddar
- 1 cup julienned or grated carrots
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup radishes thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup neutral-tasting, store-bought vinaigrette
- 1 avocado thinly sliced
- crushed tortilla chips for garnish
- Cook the vegan ground beef according to package directions. For the best flavor, make sure to cook until it starts to brown.
- Sprinkle in the taco seasoning and stir to coat. Set aside.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the mixed greens, vegan cheese, carrots, cherry tomatoes, kidney beans, and radishes.
- Toss with the salsa and vinaigrette.
- Portion into individual bowls and top with crushed tortilla strips and sliced avocado. Best when fresh.