Is there anything more classic than a good caesar salad? I almost didn’t publish this recipe for fear of treading on overdone territory. But this vegan chicken caesar salad is an easy and delicious staple in my recipe repertoire, and for authenticity’s sake, I couldn’t not include it. You’ll love how this salad is:
- Quick and minimal-effort, coming together in under 30 minutes
- Hearty and filling, thanks to chunks of vegan chicken
- Fresh and crunchy with a savory, tangy homemade dressing
Tips for Success
This salad has the most flavor when you go the extra mile to make homemade croutons and homemade caesar dressing. For the dressing, see the recipe below.
Homemade croutons: For delicious homemade croutons, just cube up some bread (I like a crusty sourdough), drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and toast in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes until golden.
Mix up your greens: Romaine is traditional. Romaine is non-negotiable. However, I like to mix it up by swapping out half the romaine for shredded kale. You could also use baby arugula or baby spinach.
Don’t be afraid to take shortcuts: Store bought plant-based caesar dressings are widely available now, and sometimes we need a quick and easy meal to throw together with minimal effort. I promise you, the end result will still be satisfying!
Level up your salad: I’m hesitant to mess with a classic. However, there are a few upgrades you can make if you’re feeling like your salad needs a little extra umph. Here are my favorite caesar salad additions:
- Diced avocado
- Kalamata olives
- Marinated artichokes
- Halved cherry tomatoes
I know, I know — these are all pretty controversial in a caesar salad. It won’t be authentic, but it’ll still make for a darn tasty salad.
What to Serve With Vegan Chicken Caesar Salad?
This salad is so versatile and goes with everything. My favorite meals to serve with it are soups and pastas. A hearty lunch could mean caesar salad and vegan butternut squash soup. Or maybe for dinner you pair this with my spinach and ricotta stuffed shells alla vodka. You decide!
Vegan Chicken Caesar Salad
Caesar Dressing (recipe below, or use store bought)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews (see note)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plant-based milk of choice
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp agave or maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp miso
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 lemon (juiced)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 package vegan chicken pieces (unbreaded)
- 4 cups romaine lettuce (chopped)
- 4 cups lacinato kale (finely shredded)
- 1/2 cup vegan croutons (see note)
- 8 oz vegan parmesan
- freshly cracked black pepper (for garnish)
- First, make the dressing by blending up all the dressing ingredients in a high speed blender until completely smooth and creamy.
- Next, cook your vegan chicken pieces according to the package directions. Set aside to cool.
- To assemble your salad, place the shredded kale in a large serving bowl. Spoon a couple of tablespoons of the dressing over the kale and massage thoroughly.
- Add the lettuce, chicken, croutons, and parmesan, and toss until everything is coated.
- Serve, garnishing with freshly cracked black pepper.