We all know and love the classic bacon, lettuce, and tomato combo — but adding creamy avocado takes these vegan BALT sandwiches to the next level.
BALT Sandwich Ingredients
These sandwiches only have six ingredients, so pay careful attention to the quality of your ingredients.
Bread: I’m only going to say this once: Buy local, freshly-baked bread. There really is no comparison to a rustic, crusty loaf — and most basic breads are naturally vegan! The bread is your canvas, and your sandwich will only ever be as good as the bread is.
Tomatoes: I love using heirloom tomatoes for these sandwiches. They’re beautiful and bursting with flavor if you snag them at peak ripeness. Just please, for the love of the tomato gods, never ever refrigerate your tomatoes. Their flavor and texture will deteriorate.
Lettuce: Don’t think too hard about this one! I like the crunch of romaine, but iceberg or butter lettuce would also be great.
Bacon: I’ve tested a few vegan bacon brands, and my favorite for these sandwiches is Sweet Earth’s Benevolent Bacon.
Mayo: Vegan mayo is a hotly debated topic among plant-based eaters. As much as I want to support vegan companies like Follow Your Heart, Hellman’s vegan mayo really is the best. The texture remains fluffy and stable weeks after opening the jar.
Avocados: I know it’s tempting to reach for the bag of tiny avocados that are cheaper than their larger cousins, but the flavor and texture is never the same. Choose large or jumbo hass avocados for the best results here.
How to Make This BALT Sandwich
First, brown up that vegan bacon in a skillet. Follow the package directions.
While that’s sizzling away, toast your bread slices.
To assemble, slather the toasted bread with vegan mayo, lettuce, tomato slices, avocado, and the cooked bacon. It’s a sandwich. You know what to do.
These sandwiches are a great option to pack for a picnic in late summer or early fall, when heirloom tomatoes are at their peak ripeness.
More easy lunch ideas:
Vegan BALT Sandwiches
- 8 slices local, freshly baked bread
- 4 tbsp vegan mayo like Hellman's vegan mayo
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes thinly sliced
- 1 package vegan bacon like Sweet Earth's Benevolent Bacon
- 1 head romaine lettuce leaves washed and separated
- 1 large hass avocado pitted, peeled and sliced
- sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Cook the vegan bacon according to the package directions and set aside to cool.
- Toast the bread slices, if desired.
- Spread one tablespoon of vegan mayo on one slice of bread. Lay down some lettuce, then one or two tomato slices, then two or three strips of bacon. Finish with the sliced avocado and sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper to taste. Top with the remaining slice of bread.
- Press the sandwich down firmly. Using a very sharp knife, cut the sandwich in half and enjoy!