Migas were the best-selling breakfast plate at Galaxy Cafe, the local Austin restaurant I worked at through college. The steaming fresh scramble with tomatoes, onions, jalapeños, and cheese was just too good to resist. I promise you, these tofu migas are just as good.
When I went vegan, I was relieved to learn that migas wasn’t something I had to sacrifice. Tofu makes the perfect canvas for fresh vegetables, vegan cheese and cumin. For a complete, hearty breakfast, serve with warm tortillas, refried beans, and salsa. This one will never let you down.
First off, let’s talk about the tofu. You’ve got to press as much water as possible out of it in order to get the best results here. When added to the sauteed veggies, dry crumbled tofu will brown up really nicely in a pan, maximizing tofu’s flavor potential.
You’ll want to use a nonstick pan here to save yourself the hassle of scraping up browned tofu that stuck to the bottom of your pan. Remember not to stir the tofu for a few minutes to give it a chance to develop a nice crust.
Then you’ll add in the cumin and allow it to toast for a couple minutes before going in with the good stuff — plant milk, nutritional yeast (nooooooch) and vegan cheese. These additions make the scramble “eggy” and add a savory punch.
At the very end, you fold in crispy tortilla strips and cut the heat before they have time to get super soggy. This is the point where I usually devour this right out of the pan. But, if patience allows, a stack of warm tortillas and a pile of refried beans makes this really special.
Cook it for your tofu-hating friends. They’ll destroy it.
More hangover cures:
The Best Tofu Migas
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 package extra firm tofu
- 1 onion diced
- 1 large tomato diced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup plant milk
- ½ cup shredded vegan cheddar
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1 avocado pitted, peeled and diced
- 1 can vegetarian refried beans, for serving (optional)
- warm tortillas, for serving (optional)
- salsa, for serving (optional)
- Press the tofu by wrapping it in a clean kitchen towel or paper towels and placing something heavy like a cast iron pan on top of it for 10–20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. Saute onions until softened. Add the garlic and jalapeno and saute one more minute.
- Crumble in the pressed tofu and sprinkle with cumin, salt and pepper. Refrain from stirring for 3–5 minutes to allow the tofu to brown.
- Once the tofu is browned, add the plant milk, nutritional yeast and vegan cheddar. Cook for 3–5 minutes until the mixture has thickened and the tofu absorbed the liquid.
- Add the crushed tortilla chips, stir to combine, and remove from heat.
- Top the migas with the diced avocado. If desired, serve alongside warm tortillas, refried beans and salsa.