It’s hard to beat this warm and cozy sausage, kale and white bean soup recipe when the weather starts to cool down. There aren’t many ingredients to this soup, so pay attention to the quality and freshness of each one.
Sausage: For me, you can’t beat Beyond Meat’s hot Italian sausage in this recipe. It has enough fat to brown up beautifully in a dutch oven and leaves some flavor for you to saute your onions in afterward.
Beans: you can either use canned (as mentioned in the recipe) or you can make your own. I whip up a batch of beans in my slow cooker almost once a week. Just add dried beans, some crushed garlic cloves, fresh black pepper and some bay leaves or thyme sprigs. Cover with water by an inch or two and let it cook on low for 4–6 hours. I always test after 3 hours for doneness.
Buillon: For the “vegan buillon,” you have a few options. Better Than Buillon makes a great vegan chicken base. My personal favorite is Edward and Son’s “Not Chick’n” cubes. They make a really flavorful, umami broth. Imagine Foods also does a great “Vegetarian No-Chicken Broth” that comes in a carton like you’d buy regular broth. Regardless of the option you choose, don’t be tempted to sub in vegetable broth — the results won’t quite be the same.
Parmesan: The best parmesan (whether you’re plant-based or not) is one that you can buy in block or wedge form. This ensures it’s fresh and not full of anti-caking agents. Violife makes a really great plant-based parmesan that comes in a wedge. I love grating it, grinding it in the food processor, or even curling ribbons with a peeler as a garnish for salads.
With good ingredients (cue Ina Garten), this sausage, kale and white bean soup feels special with minimal effort.
More hearty soup recipes:
Sausage, Kale and White Bean Soup
- 1 white or yellow onion diced
- 1 lb vegan sausage chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cans cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 6 cups water
- 2 cubes vegan buillon such as Edward and Sons
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch kale destemmed and roughly chopped
- sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- vegan parmesan for garnish
- Heat a large dutch oven or pot on medium high heat. When hot, add the olive oil.
- Add the vegan sausage and cook for a few minutes until nicely browned. Remove from the pot and reduce the heat to medium.
- In the same pot, add the diced onions and a pinch of salt to help release their moisture. Saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the water, dried oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, vegan bouillon and cannellini beans. Stir to dissolve the bouillon. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the kale and return the sausage to the pan. Simmer for 5 more minutes until the kale is wilted but still bright green.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings. Serve in warmed bowls topped with freshly grated vegan parmesan and an extra crack of black pepper.