There’s not much that’s better than a classic slab of crispy french toast drenched in butter and maple syrup. It’s a simple pleasure that’s fuss-free and great for even the pickiest of eaters. In this plant-based JUST Egg french toast, you’ll enjoy the same rich indulgence without the animal products. You’ll love how it’s:
- Simple with less than 10 ingredients, most of which you likely already have
- Quick, taking just 20 minutes for the first batch to get on the table
- Flexible and easily adaptable to gluten-free and nut-free diets
This is another installment in my “Kinda Garten” series, where I take iconic Barefoot Contessa recipes and make them plant-based. In Ina’s version, she uses challah bread. If you can find a good vegan loaf, by all means, use it!
Can You Make French Toast With JUST Egg?
Yes, you can make a delicious french toast using plant-based JUST Egg! It acts exactly as chicken eggs would, giving french toast its signature richness with crispy edges and a fluffy interior. It’s a great option for those with egg allergies or vegan diners. One whole bottle equals about 6–8 chicken eggs.
Here’s what you need for the french toast:
JUST Egg: It should come as no surprise that this is the main ingredient for this french toast. It replaces eggs in a traditional recipe.
Plant-based milk: You can use any unsweetened variation you like. For an even richer french toast, try using vegan creamer (unsweetened) or a homemade cashew cream.
Vanilla extract: Just a half teaspoon will add great flavor.
Maple syrup: This infuses the french toast with just a touch of sweetness. You can also use agave nectar. For additional sweetness, drizzle on more maple syrup when serving.
Sea salt: Because every sweet dish needs salt to balance everything out.
Cinnamon: Just a hint adds a boost of flavor.
Orange zest: This is completely optional. For a simple. classic french toast, leave it out. But if you plan on serving it with fresh berries, I love how the orange zest adds a nice fragrance and lovely fruity notes.
Good bread: You can use any bread, from whole wheat to sourdough to gluten-free. Just make sure you slice your bread on the thicker size, about 3/4 inch to 1 inch. This way, it’ll be able to absorb lots of the mixture so that it’s crispy on the outside and fluffy in the middle.
Vegan butter: For greasing the pan and for serving.
How to Make French Toast With JUST Egg
It’s easy to make this JUST Egg french toast.
- Whisk together the JUST egg, plant-based milk, vanilla, maple syrup, salt, and orange zest (if using) until combined.
- Dip thickly sliced bread into the mixture and let it sit for a couple of minutes to absorb it.
- Pan-fry over medium heat in a little vegan butter until golden and crispy, about five minutes per side.
- Serve hot with additional vegan butter, a drizzle of maple syrup, and fresh fruit (if desired).
JUST Egg French Toast
- 1 bottle JUST Egg
- 1 cup unsweetened plant-based milk of choice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (or agave)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp orange zest (optional)
- 1 loaf good freshly baked bread of choice (sliced 1 inch thick)
- vegan butter (for the pan and for serving)
- maple syrup for serving
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- In a large, shallow pan, whisk together the JUST egg, plant-based milk, vanilla, maple syrup, salt, and orange zest (if using).
- Dip the bread slices in the mixture, 2–3 at a time, and let sit for a couple minutes to soak.
- Heat a large, nontstick skillet over medium heat. Melt 1–2 tbsp of vegan butter.
- Pan-fry the french toast until golden and crispy, about 5 minutes per side.
- Keep the slices warm in the oven until you're ready to serve.
- Serve warm with extra vegan butter, maple syrup, and fresh fruit (if desired).