Break your Sunday morning pancake routine with these carrot spelt waffles. They’re crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside, and come together in under 30 minutes. I meeeeannn. Need I say more?
I was originally inspired to make these beauties—inspired by Love and Lemons—when I received a bundle of vibrant, local, organic carrots in my farmer’s market CSA box. I had grown tired of roasted carrots and pureed carrot soup. When I thought of baking, I knew I wanted to switch things up from the expected carrot cake and carrot muffins.
Enter: These carrot spelt waffles. Spelt is an ancient cousin of modern wheat. It’s rich in protein, vitamins and minerals, and fiber. That fiber helps keep you full and may reduce the blood sugar spikes that are all-too-common after a tall stack of flapjacks.
Aside from all of that, spelt has a wonderfully nutty flavor similar to farro. It goes great with the sweet carrots and spicy cinnamon and ginger.
Before now, I realized I had been making waffles wrong my whole life. I always thought the batter had to be thicker like a pancake batter. Every time I would make a waffle recipe, I’d think, “There’s no way this is right. It’s way too watery.” I was young and naive.
This waffle batter is thinner than you’d expect, but it’s all good — trust the waffle process. If you try to thicken it up, you’ll get waffles that are dense and underdone in the middle rather than light and airy.
Anyways, If you’re a purist, you’ll enjoy these waffles with a good slab of vegan butter and maple syrup. But if you’re extra, feel free to add a dollop of coconut whipped cream and fresh berries.
Once you dig in, you’ll realize this recipe makes a big batch of waffles, so be prepared to freeze a few and save for future lazy weekends. Or, don’t! Let an overload of waffles be your biggest problem this weekend.
More weekend brunch inspiration:
Carrot Spelt Waffles
- 3 cups spelt flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp ground flaxseed
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 3 cups room temperature plant milk (such as soy)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp agave or maple syrup
- 1½ cups grated carrots
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- vegan butter and maple syrup for serving
- Heat a waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Whisk together the spelt flour, baking powder, ground flaxseed, salt, cinnamon, and ginger.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients, including the plant milk, melted coconut oil and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk to combine. Fold in the grated carrots and walnuts and let the batter rest for 5 minutes.
- Cook the waffles in the waffle iron until they're crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Serve warm.